End-of-life care is not always the most comfortable topic to discuss, but it is a necessary aspect to consider when seniors are coordinating their finances. Estate planning for seniors should not be a challenging subject, but many people find it hard to keep track of all the elements that asset protection can involve. From trusts to tax reduction and everything else in between, asset protection for seniors can be a simple process for many seniors. It bodes well to consider this topic sooner rather than later, but it is never too late to kick into asset protection mode. Here are a few of the topics to discuss with an estate planning attorney when learning about asset protection for seniors:
Financial advisors are powerful people, because they manage money, they also, in a sense, manage lives. This fact means that your financial advisor holds a critical role in your life, both in the present and the future. You and family depend upon the fruits of your labor for so many things, which is why it’s important to find the right financial advisor. The question is—how to find a good one? Naturally, your financial advisor must have the proper credentials. He or she must be educated and knowledgeable in the field of managing of money. But your financial advisor must also be respectful of you, the client, and must also be trustworthy. Here are some tips from top financial advisors on how to tell if you’ve found a good one.
There are many things you ought to do on your own, but managing your money may not be one of them. Regardless of your age, you likely work very hard for the money you earn; you need to know it’s working hard for you. But if you try to go it alone when it comes to managing it, you may find yourself behind the eight ball, particularly if you’re nearing retirement age. In fact, the more money you have to manage, the less apt you are to manage it well—if you aren’t a financial advisor yourself, that is. The more complex your portfolio, the more experience and knowledge an advisor you’ll need in order to navigate the intricacies of the financial industry. Here are some reasons why a top financial advisor may be a better answer for managing your money than going the DIY road.
Saving for your retirement may not be so important when we’re young, but as we age we begin thinking more and more about it. How old will you be when you decide you don’t want to work full-time anymore? Or, more importantly, will you get to a point in your life when you feel you no longer can work full-time—or at all? These are the reasons why it’s important to not only begin thinking about your retirement when you’re younger, but it’s important to start doing something about it. Thankfully, if you’re older, you still have time to save for your retirement, but naturally, you have less time which means you’ll need to go a little more gung-ho at it. Whether you already have an advisor or you’re shopping for one, you need to know the questions to ask about your retirement in order to start saving properly. Top financial advisors have the 5 most important questions you must ask that will help ensure that you’re ready for retirement whenever you get there.
The first question you need to ask about your retirement is a question that only you (and your partner) can answer: What do I want out of my retirement? You need to sit down and map out a realistic vision of your future that includes such items as where you will live and what you will do. For instance, have you and your spouse always dreamed of the proverbial cross-country Winnebago retirement? Or perhaps you’re the kind of guy who wants to spend his retirement fishing? Whatever your retirement looks like, do a little research in advance about what you’ll need. Then take the following questions to your financial advisor.
Hiring a financial advisor is an excellent way to have your money managed responsibly. Managing your money can be tough, and with all the ins and outs of the trade, it’s often best to find someone who’s knowledgeable and experienced in such tasks. But finding a financial advisor isn’t easy, particularly if you don’t have a lot of time to put into this undertaking. Job one will be finding a financial advisor you can trust. Naturally, your search needs to end with someone who is educated and has the necessary expertise to properly manage your funds. Finally, you need to find someone who will communicate with you regularly and who is accessible when you need them. Here is a list of the most important things to look for in a financial advisor, compiled by top financial advisors who know of what they speak.
Once upon a time, young adults all aspired for the same thing – a good job, find a partner, move to the ‘burbs, start a family, get a dog … live happily ever after. Young women seldom had a career, opting instead to marry, become a homemaker and stay home with the children. The term “stay-at-home mom” had not even been coined yet – it was just expected of young women, that she forsake any future plans … she would be there for her husband and kids.
Divorce isn’t a fun topic at any age, and, it sure is not something most people anticipate as they happily stroll down the aisle while envisioning the years of marital bliss that lie ahead. Sometimes real life intervenes, and “happily ever after” isn’t always meant to be. Things turn ugly with sharp words and accusations hurled – soon thereafter is talk of splitting up, or divorce. Reconciliation may occur, but statistics show that only a mere 15% of all separations result in renewed marital bliss, and do not lead to divorce or reconciliation within ten years. Those aren’t very good odds for the remaining 85% of couples, who at least believed their marriage was important enough to try to salvage.
Sentimentality aside, once the jeers and tears have gone away, the reality of divorce sets in. Among the topics to consider going forward, is how retirement assets will be divvied up between the two partners. Divorce can really take its toll, emotionally and financially, but the later in life it occurs, the greater the threat to retirement. If you are getting divorced in your latter years it would be wise o consult with a top financial advisor in NJ. A New Jersey financial advisor will be able to help you go through the process in the least painful way.
This guest post was written by Efraim Landa
Efraim Landa is a venture capitalist and the founder of Effi Enterprises.
When talking about a private equity fund, usually they tend to be partnerships that have been formed by a PE firm. Private equity funds can either be for general investments of businesses or they can also fund in different industries. Most of the equity funds you see these days last around 10-13 years, which is usually an entire term, but they do vary by business. When you get a private-equity fund the fund is closed when you the business have distributed all the funds back into the account for the partners of the fund. As you can see this is a very useful and efficient way to get money for something like a small business or start-up, but they tend to be difficult to get unless you have a projected plan of action to show the partners you would/could/will make money from the business so that they can get their money back. Private Equity funds tend to focus on one of the following: